The first-generation model has a choice of four engines:
• 2.4-liter 2RZ-FE I4 that produces 142-horsepower (106 kW) at 5000 rpm and 160-lb-ft (217 N-m) of torque at 4000 rpm
• 2.7-liter 3RZ-FE-I4 that offers 150-horsepower (112 kW) and 177-lb-ft (240 N-m) of torque at 4000 rpm
• 3.4-liter 5VZ-FE V6 that generates 190-horsepower (142 kW) at 4800 rpm and 220-lb-ft (298 Nm) of torque at 3600 rpm
• An aftermarket TRD supercharged 3.4-liter V6 that produces 254-bhp (189 kW) and 270-lb-ft (366 N-m) of torque
Two transmissions were offered –- a 4-speed automatic and a 5-speed manual.
The single (or regular) cab was assigned only the 2.7-liter 3RZ-FE I4 or the 2.4-liter 2RZ-FE I4. The TRD package started being offered in 1997. If selected, a differential locker in the rear came with it.
Now in its third-generation, which started in 2015, the 2016 and 2017 Tacoma features a choice of two engines:
• 2.7-liter 2TR-FE I4 that produces 160-horsepower at 5200 rpm and 181-lb-ft (246 N-m) of torque at 3800 rpm
• 3.5-liter 2GR-FKS V6 that generates 268-horsepower (200 kW) to 296-horsepower at 6200 rpm and 248-lb-ft to 260-lb-ft (336-353 N-m) of torque at 4700 rpm. This version includes the Toyota Dual VVT-I Variable Valve Timing on both the intake and exhaust cams. Introduced in 1998, this system adjusts timing on the intake and exhaust camshafts and allows the engine start and stop to occur unnoticed at minimum compression.
Three transmissions are available –- 5-speed manual, 6-speed automatic, and 6-speed manual.
For owners of the 2016 or 2017 Tacoma who are looking for more off-idle torque, AIRAID is offering the 510-654 POWERAID throttle body spacer. The system boosts off-idle torque from 800 rpm to about 3,000 rpm. It achieves this by spinning the air as it passes through the throttle body causing an increase of velocity that results in an improved atomized mixture of fuel and air into the combustion chamber.
High quality aircraft grade billet 6061-T6 aluminum is used to manufacture the POWERAID throttle body spacer. Moreover, the kit includes the necessary gaskets, hardware, and precision brackets to maintain the proper geometry as it integrates with the components of the factory engine. It can be installed in about one hour using common hand tools. Drilling or cutting is not required.
The AIRAID 510-654 Throttle Body Spacer is designed and engineered to fit the following vehicles:
2017 TOYOTA TACOMA 3.5L V6 Fuel Injection - All Models